Monday, January 19, 2009

Make Mention of Him!

"I shall make mention of the lovingkindnesses of the Lord, the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord has granted us..." Isaiah 63:7.

As I 'punch out' this post for my Ministry Technology class, I'm reminded by this text of how little I make mention of my God. I sit here at my dining room table (my school desk until July 2010) wondering just how have I represented my Lord to the world around me. Have you ever been asked by a stranger, "How are you doing"? What is your response? What do you really want to say? I remember working for a Captain at my last duty assignment in the Air Force who always answered that question with "better than I deserve". He was a wonderful man to work with and never once treated me with the air of authority since I was an enlisted subordinate. He often talked of and praised Jesus when possible. He was not ashamed of who he represented.

As I look around my house, I can't help but praise God for the blessings I have. Why does He pour out His lovingkinesses to me? Here I am an inconsistent, rebellious (at times) child of God who finds himself worrying more often than living joyously because of my redemption by the blood of Christ. I appreciate Paul's attitude throughout the book of Acts. What really amazes me is where his mind is even during the shipwreck on his way to Rome. From what I see, there are 276 prisoners who endured 14 days of starvation. Paul encourages them through notifying them they will survive this trial and by feeding them. In front of all 276 men he gives thanks to God in the presence of all (Acts 27:35)! What an example of steadfastness Paul is. May we all follow in the footsteps of this leader that boldly lived and represented his Savior well.

God is the fountain whence
Ten thousand blessings flow;
To Him my life, my health, and friends,
And every good, I owe.

The comforts He affords
Are neither few nor small;
He is the source of fresh delights,
My portion and my all.

He fills my heart with joy,
My lips attunes for praise;
And to His glory I’ll devote
The remnant of my days.

~Benjamin Beddome, 1817

No comments: